Verse of the Day

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Materna-tree

I know, it's a strange title, but it came to mind as I came to near completion on this piece.


This tree is located in the Antenatal Ward of the hospital.  From what I understand, these are women from the villages who are too near their due date, or deemed higher risk, and must stay at the hospital to safely deliver.  Most have too long of a journey back from the villages to make it to the hospital in time.  And because they are from the villages, they know very little or no English.   I have really enjoyed interacting with the patients so far, but after I get through my few greetings and niceties in Tonga that I know, it's English or nothing.  And after 5 minutes in the Antenatal Ward, I pretty much had nothin'.

But the part that I enjoyed of this was that very quickly, 10 or so women gathered together on 1 bed nearest my work zone as my captive audience. And although we couldn't communicate very well, I realized that this was their entertainment for the day... and that's ok.

I was able to break a little ice with some sweets...after all, nothing speaks to a pregnant lady like snacks... that's apparently a global understanding.   And I think that they enjoyed the show?? Maybe?

But after I returned to the ward from a dinner break, I decided that we were going to really break the ice...so I deviated a little from the design that I had in mind, & the cutest thing happened.
I was able somehow to communicate that I wanted them to help me with the painting.
It was a blast, & I think that by their smiles that they had a good time.





No comments:

Post a Comment